Slab table for JW…..
John Wilson and four buddies are renting a house for their sophomore year at Bama; our furniture contribution for the house was to be a kitchen table. JW told me he thought it would be cool to make a living edge slab table; a table with the edges being the unfinished bark side from a tree. I reluctantly, since I had never made anything like that, agreed to make one.
We went to a sawmill in Scottsboro and after much looking chose “wormy maple” wood and cut slabs from the massive logs of a maple tree that JW picked out for its character and beauty.
We brought the slabs home and got started! First step involved joining the pieces together for the table top since there was not a single piece wide enough; this would later cause me mucho trouble!
Sweet on Summertime
Lindsey's Peanut Butter Cup S'Mores Bars
1/2 cup of butter, softened
1/2 cup of packed brown sugar
1/4 cup of sugar
1 teaspoon of vanilla
1/4 teaspoon of salt
1 teaspoon of baking powder
1 1/4 cups of flour
1 cup of graham cracker crumbs
16 peanut butter cups, regular size (or more for minis)
1 1/ 2 cups of marshmallow fluff
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a 8x8 baking dish with parchment paper, coat lightly with cooking spray.
2. In a large bowl of a stand mixer, beat butter and sugars until fluffy. Beat in the egg and vanilla until combined. Scrape down the sides of the bowl. With the mixer on low, stir in the flour, baking powder, salt and graham cracker crumbs until mixed.
3. Spread 2/3 of the dough on the bottom of the prepared baking dish. Lightly press the peanut butter cups into the dough, then spread the marshmallow fluff on top. Lightly spray a cutting broad and use to press the remaining dough out into an 8x8 shape square and place on top of the mixture in pan. Lightly press down.
4. Bake for 30 minutes or until edges just begin to brown. Allow to cool for at least 2 hours to give bars time to set and cool. Cut and serve, and enjoy!!!
Labels: Recipe Box
Have you been told that you need to have a tooth protected and restored with a dental crown? Dr. Doug Booth, Huntsville dentist has helped many patients in the same situation with 1-visit crowns using CEREC® CAD-CAM technology (computer aided design – computer aided manufacturing).
With over 30 years of clinical use, CEREC is a standard option in restorative dentistry. And, because CEREC is completely digital, it has become a platform for integration with 3D cone beam imaging technologies to aid in the restoration of dental implants.
How is CEREC® different from a traditional dental crown?
A traditional crown procedure usually requires two appointments:
- During the first visit, the tooth is prepared for a crown, and impressions are taken using mouth trays and putty-like dental impression material. The patient is fitted with a temporary crown and sent on their way, and the impression is sent to a dental laboratory for fabrication of the crown.
- In 2-3 weeks, the patient returns to the office for placement of the final crown restoration.
CEREC 3D Technology allows Dr. Booth to complete a dental crown procedure in a single appointment. Here’s how CEREC works:
- After preparing the tooth for the crown , Dr. Booth is able to capture the tooth anatomy using a 3D imaging camera and create a “virtual” impression – this means no messy dental impression material!
- With a 3D model of your teeth, Dr. Booth can design a natural-looking ceramic restoration in a shade to match your other teeth. He uses special software tools to create the final design and map out how your crown should fit within your overall bite.
- Dr. Booth approves the final design and the CEREC manufacturing system mills your ceramic crown restoration while you wait.
- CEREC saves TIME. Your crown is placed over the prepared tooth and you are on your way with your new dental crown – no second appointment required!
Dr. Booth has been a CEREC provider since 2005. In addition to dental crowns, he uses CEREC technology to create custom dental inlays, onlays and implant crowns.
While some conditions require the use of the outside dental laboratory, in most cases, a single tooth dental crown restoration can be completed in our office using CEREC technology.
Would you like to learn more about CEREC same-day crowns? We invite you to Contact Us or stop by to see CEREC in action!
We are a drop-off point for donations for this wonderful drive to support Huntsville homeless pets. Please bring any of these items to your next appointment with us:
Labels: Dr Doug Booth Huntsville
Dr. Booth & Team are just back from continuing education at the Hinman Dental Conference in Atlanta. We advanced our knowledge of health information privacy and occupational safety, and, acquired new technologies including the Velscope® Oral Cancer Screening System and a new Laser Cavity Detector to enhance our ability to detect problems early.
And, of course, we loved trying out Atlanta's restaurants!
Dr. Booth surprised us with this on a rainy spring morning - we loved it!
4 Cups Bisquick
1 Cup Sour Cream (I used LIGHT)
1 Cup Seven Up
1/2 Cup melted butter
Knead and fold dough until coated with your baking mix. Pat dough out and cut biscuits using a round biscuit / cookie cutter. Melt butter in bottom of cookie sheet pan or 9x13 casserole dish. Place biscuits on top of melted butter and bake for 12-15 minutes or until brown at 425 degrees.
1 lb sausage
2 Tablespoons flour
2 Cups milk
Brown and crumble sausage in large non stick fry pan. Slowly add flour to pan stirring into grease until smooth. Add milk and bring to simmering boil stirring until thickened.
Labels: Recipe Box
Each year, we raise awareness about oral cancer during the month of April by sharing an update about this life-threatening disease, but we are diligently on the lookout for it all year long.
Once thought to be a cancer that only affected tobacco users, oral cancer has been linked to the HPV16 virus which also causes cervical cancers. According to the CDC, HPV is the most common sexually transferred infection in the U.S. and between 50-80 % of the entire US population will have an HPV infection at some point in their lifetime. (www.oralcancer.org)
Oral cancer typically appears as something we might otherwise ignore – a bump, raised area or discoloration of the tissues in the mouth, or unexplained, persistent throat irritation or hoarseness.
As part of your dental examination visits with us, Dr. Booth and our Dental Hygienists will perform an oral cancer screening of the tongue and oral soft tissues. We may also use a special oral cancer detection system, Velscope®. This patented technology uses a combination of light detection and specially formulated staining solution to react to potentially cancerous cells. If we see a bump or lesion that looks questionable, the Velscope® system can help us rule out oral cancer or be an indicator that we need to take a closer look.
Both teens and adults are at risk for oral cancer. At home, pay attention to your tongue, cheeks and oral soft tissues when you brush and floss. A good rule of thumb, if you see a spot in your mouth that looks and feels different for more than 2 weeks, it is time to call us. Same rule applies if you have an unexplained persistent sore throat or hoarseness, give your physician a call. As with any form of cancer, early detection can be life saving!
If you have questions about oral cancer or would like to learn more, we invite you to Contact Us.
Are you getting ready for that Special Day? Congratulations!
Dr. Doug Booth and Team want you to have a picture-perfect, beautiful and healthy smile for your wedding day.
If it’s been a while, we recommend that you add a dental check-up and cleaning appointment to your to-do list. During this visit, we invite you to ask for more information about any of our cosmetic dental services that might help you feel more confident about your smile:
Whitening is a simple, safe way to brighten up your smile! We offer ZOOM!® Whitening for fast in-office results, as well as home whitening products that are specially made for professional use. Teeth whitening removes old stains caused by dark beverages and foods, making teeth several shades lighter. Learn more about ZOOM!® Whitening
Botox® & Dermal Fillers
Huntsville Dentist Dr. Doug Booth has completed advanced training in the facial application of Botox® and Dermal fillers for cosmetic enhancement of wrinkles, “laugh lines”, “crow’s feet”, tiny forehead lines and skin furrows. We have loved helping our patients like what they see in the mirror again with this non-surgical cosmetic alternative!
Invisalign® Clear Orthodontics offers a solution for straightening crooked teeth using clear, nearly invisible plastic aligners. Dr. Booth is a Preferred Invisalign Provider in Huntsville; using patented Invisalign® technology and special 3D software, he can develop a treatment plan for calculated tooth movement to straighten teeth. The best part about the clear aligners is that they can be removed for eating and are barely noticeable when you speak. Read more about Invisalign.
Porcelain Veneers & Crowns
Do discolored, chipped or misshaped teeth keep you from smiling? Dental porcelain restorations are a beautiful way to make your smile look naturally gorgeous! Dr. Booth enjoys this facet of dentistry and has helped numerous patients renew and rejuvenate their smiles using porcelain veneers and crowns. Learn more about cosmetic dentistry at the Cosmetic Dental Center of Huntsville.
It would be our pleasure to help you enjoy your best smile on your special day! Contact Us to schedule a dental consultation to learn more about options for your dental health and smile appearance.